Kibondeni is a college of catering and hospitality aimed at equipping young women from all over Kenya with the technical and human skills required to pursue a career in the hospitality industry.
Kibondeni College was established in 1967 as Kibondeni School of Institutional Management, to train young women in hospitality skills and management courses. This was the first women’s hospitality college set up at a time when the hotel industry mainly employed men. The students performed well and its syllabus was adopted by the Ministry of Education for application in other similar institutions. Over the years the school developed into the present Kibondeni College of Catering &Institutional Management.
At present, 400 students benefit yearly.
KIBONDENI SCHOOL OF INSTITUTIONAL MANAGEMENT
In 1972 the school was raised to the level of Institutional Management, reflecting the diversity of the courses and variety of jobs for which the students were prepared. In 1974 Kibondeni, the first school of its kind had its syllabus approved and adopted by the Ministry of Education for other schools. From then on Kibondeni was authorized to issue its own certificates.
In 1977 Kibondeni students were able to sit external examinations set by the Kenya Institute of Education, after their two year course. In 1985 the course was split, leading to separate Certificates: Certificate in Food & Beverage and a Certificate in Production, Service & Sales. Kibondeni students chose one of the two options.
In 1998 the school became Kibondeni College and, in response to the needs of the market, introduced a Diploma in Catering & Accommodation Management. This 3-year course includes cookery, housekeeping, laundry, front office and stores management. It prepares the students for highly competitive positions in the hospitality industry.
This training helps the student to be responsible and focused wherever they are employed.
At the practical level, the students are trained in:
- Catering and Accommodation Management
- Housekeeping, Laundry and Front office
- Food and Beverage Production and Service
Kibondeni College offers various courses in the hospitality industry:
- Diploma in Catering & Accommodation Management [Modular] (KNEC)
- Duration: 3 Years
- Requirements: C plain and above with a pass in Mathematics and English
- Intake: Every September
- Certificate in Catering & Accommodation Operation Management [Modular] (KNEC).
- Duration: 2 Years
- Requirements: C minus with a pass in Mathematics and English
- Intake: Every May – June
- Kibondeni Certificate in Housekeeping, Laundry & Cookery
- Duration: 4 Terms
- Intake: Every January,May and September
- Short Courses in Cookery and Home Management.
SHORT COURSES OFFERED
Kibondeni College offers various short courses in the hospitality industry:
- Housekeeping, Laundry & Cookery
- Duration: 3 Months
- Intake: Every January and September
- Holiday Cookery Class: cookery 2016
- Intake: Every April, August and December
- Professional Home Management Course
- high School Girls Students’ Courses.
- January – February
- June – August (Summer Holiday Course)
- November – December
- Introduction to computers
- Etiquette and personality development
- Educational & cultural outings, seminars
- Individual attention through tutorial
Facilities are available for some students to board and do their practice in catering units.